Unintended, but predictable, consequences

Statement Submitted to the Committee on Foreign Affairs’ Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights, and Oversight

By: Douglas Macgregor, PhD, Colonel (ret) U.S. Army

February 8, 2008

Click here to download (68 KB PDF)

COL MacGregor provides a penetrating analysis of the implications of ad-hoc agreements with the current Iraqi government. We can’t say we weren’t warned.

9 Responses to “Unintended, but predictable, consequences”

1. maximilliangcon 08 Feb 2008 at 10:39 pm 1

Disturbing.

On several fronts. First based on the ongoing overall state of affairs,
    the ongoing costs, and mounting toll.

Second, particularly as the agreement smacks heavily of a type
    of quasi-Colonialsim, as the Col. makes the point, in the spirit of
    the conduct of “the Soviet Empire.”

Chalmers Johnson has made the point that the reason there
    is no exit strategy from Iraq, (as naively bemoaned by
    many critics of the war in Washington, and elsewhere) is
    simply because there was no, nor any real intention to leave,
    most probably from the get go.

From my perspective,
    The wording and substance of this agreement as interpreted
    and explained by the good Col. re-enforces that stark realisation.

Which leads to the inescapable conclusion that, once
    again, it seems a good percentage of honest, reasonably minded,
    Americans have been lied to, duped, and deceived into a scenario
    that will likely outlive them, even perhaps their kids, if not even
    their grandchildren.

Continuous conflict and war as a way of life for America.

Ask yourself, is that still what you really want ?

Think about that, while what time maybe left
    that you have still may have any choice.

MC

2. mycophagiston 08 Feb 2008 at 11:54 pm 2

In some respects this is “old news.” The President faced with a law banning expenditures on long term bases in Iraq, “vetoed it with a Signing Statement. He also announced that this agreement with Maliki is NOT a treaty and therefore does not have to be ratified by Congress.

Anyone in Congress objecting? And when I say objecting, I mean more than making some little whinning noises…

Not as far as I know.

If Democracy doesn’t exist in Iraq, what then of a President who feels free to act in certain matters as a dictator?

I don’t think Congress or the American People are being duped. Congress is going along with eyes open, and the American People know absolutely nothing about this.

Dave

3. rogelio007on 09 Feb 2008 at 2:17 am 3

“Anyone in Congress objecting?”

Yes. Senator Hillary Clinton and Senator Barack Obama. And they aren’t just any members of Congress. One of them is the next President of the United States. (John McCain doesn’t count. He is going to get stomped in the general election in November. Basing his campaign on continuing a war that seventy per cent of the American people want out of. Very foolish.)

4. judasnooseon 09 Feb 2008 at 2:39 am 4

On page 5, in footnote number 6, the author summarizes Dr. Abdullah’s opinion as: “… he… blames the US for bringing Iran into it and well as for secretly backing death squads.” Judging from the author’s tone, I think he means to suggest that the U.S. would never back a death squad. If so, I think MacGregor’s loyalty to the U.S. military is clouding his judgement.

I am told that the U.S. backed death squads in the Vietnam conflict’s Phoenix Program. It appears that the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation is still operating: it is widely accused to training death squads.

Imagine I were to visit an American inner-city ghetto and try to disarm the gang members. However, when I found this difficult, I tried paying money to “former” gang members to bribe them to attend my classes on democratic socialism. Later, the gang members were found to have spent my bribe money on ammunition for a gang war. Wouldn’t Abdullah rightly accuse me of backing a death squad in America?

5. maximilliangcon 09 Feb 2008 at 12:15 pm 5

Dave wrote;

“John McCain doesn’t count. He is going to get stomped in the general election in November. ”

I imagine I were to visit an American inner-city ghetto and try to disarm the gang members. However, when I found this difficult, I tried paying money to “former” gang members to bribe them to attend my classes on democratic socialism. Later, the gang members were found to have spent my bribe money on ammunition for a gang war. Wouldn’t Abdullah rightly accuse me of backing a death squad in America?”

Interesting analogy, and entirely plausible given the US track record for
    getting into bed with anyone and everyone to serve short term
    expedience.
    MC

6. mycophagiston 09 Feb 2008 at 5:07 pm 6

rogelio007 Wrote:

“Yes. Senator Hillary Clinton and Senator Barack Obama… One of them is the next President…”

I believe that meets my definition of, “making some little whining noises…”

Did they go to the Supreme Court? Did they call for a Senate motion to go to the Court? Did they bring it to the attention of the American People in a manner the press could not ignore?

None of the above?

Would you not say that precedents are being set? I believe both of them are looking forward to these precedents. It was during the Clinton administration that Signing Statements recieved intellectual justification in the form of scholarly papers.

To my shame, I was unaware of this.

Well, as they say, precedents have a habit of coming back to bite you.

Dave

7. maximilliangcon 11 Feb 2008 at 2:04 pm 7

David said,,

“None of the above ?”

This will only end one way. The USA’s brief and pathetic tenure
    as the exclusive “world superpower come COP” has failed.

If things go well in China this summer, this will be their coming out
    debutant party, and they will be recognized from then on as
    #1.

You heard it here first, and it’s not my fault that Americans are so dumb
    it will take 5 to 10 years to sink in.

MaXimillian

8. mycophagiston 12 Feb 2008 at 12:00 am 8

Interestingly enough, 46 Democratic Congressmen wrote a letter to our new Attorney General, asking him about these Signing Statements “vetoing” the law banning permenent bases, and even asking about the new “treaty.”

46 out of 435?

Well, let me at least salute those 46 for doing something…

Dave

9. […] Iraq War, this was a tactical retreat.  As Douglas Macgregor (Colonel, USA, retired) said in his statement to Congress on 8 February 2008 (this is a must-read for anyone following the war): And what the […]